Tuesday, November 07, 2006

unshaken


There is no time for songs this week brothers and sisters. Once again, a Christian has proved that the dark side can overcome good. I was watching a television show a little while ago. There was a debate of some sort; the man said the only group of people who are still a target for ridicule is the morbidly obese. The other man said, “No, you can still ridicule Christians too.” I wondered why he would have to say something like that, and then I realized he was right. And when scandals erupt, it only gets worse. So why would someone want to be a Christian anyway?

“…I’d say you’ll do best by filling your minds and meditating on things true, noble, reputable, authentic, compelling, gracious-the best, not the worst; the beautiful, not the ugly; things to praise, not things to curse….Do that, and God, who makes everything work together, will work you into his most excellent harmonies.” Philippians 4.8-9

I am a Christian because He saved me. It does not have to do with any preachers, any person. There is one thing that matters in the end; and that is the Cross. When I came to the Cross-, everything changed. Sure, being ridiculed hurts sometimes. My daughter told me today how hard it is in recess. She is in fourth grade, and most of the kids say ‘Oh my God,' and it bothers her. What can I tell her but to be strong?

I do not live this life for anyone else but Christ. I struggle with my thorns, do not get me wrong. I have to be aware that I carry the sin of pride. I need to be sure that my actions are for Jesus, not me. I strive more and more each day to die to myself.

What does that mean? “This resurrection life you received from God is not a timid, grave-tending life. It’s adventurously expectant, greeting God with a childlike ‘What’s next, Papa?’ God’s spirit touches our spirits and confirms who we really are. We know who He is, and we know who we are: Father and children. And we know we are going to get what’s coming to us-an unbelievable inheritance! We go through exactly what Christ goes through. If we go through the hard times with Him, then we’re certainly going to go through the good times with Him!” Romans 8.15-17

When I became the Lord’s I ditched my old way of living for His way of living. I remove myself from the driver’s seat (I sucked at driving this life anyway) and He is taking over. It may sound strange, but it is really a huge relief.

If you are living a life that is heavy to carry around; if the stress is gnawing at the back of your head, then you need to read my words and think about this: Christ wants to carry your burdens. He wants you to lay all your junk, all your crap, at the Cross and leave it there.

Read this and let the words touch your heart, as they are meant to do.

“Since we’ve compiled this long and sorry record as sinners and proved that we are utterly incapable of living the glorious lives God will for us, God did it for us. Out of sheer generosity He put us in right standing with Himself. A pure gift. He got us out of the mess we’re in and restored us to where he always wanted us to be. And He did it by means of Jesus Christ. Romans 3.23-24

See, this is not about any Christian who makes a mistake and sins. My faith is not shaken because people fall from grace. Your eyes need to be on the one who is in control. No, you never become a sinless person, that is impossible in this life. We will sin, it is inevitable. The decision then is to confess and keep right on going, with your eyes on the Cross. Do not pay any attention to what the world has to say about Christianity. He is real, He is in charge, and He does want you to love Him. More than that, He wants to love you. Even with all your mistakes, your scars, and your pain. Think about it.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey lil niece-
Hope all is well with you and the family. Are you coming in for Christmas? Grandma said she didn't think so. I am getting tickets for the Willow services, so I need to know. I hope you guys are able to come. We miss you!
Love, Monica

P.S. Love the blog!