Wednesday, November 29, 2006

A job application


This is how I used to read the help wanted ads:

“Wanted to fill immediate position: devout, perfect Christian for full-time service. Must be well kept in demeanor and stature. Must uphold ALL 10 Commandments and be able to recite them when asked. Should be able to quote scripture verses at any and all applicable situations. Would prefer candidate who is judgmental and critical; pious living is necessary.
The ideal candidate will have accumulated a lifetime of training in all things godly. Any tarnished history should be entirely removed. Mistakes or accidents will not be tolerated. Republican a plus. Please apply in person (wear your Sunday best!) at local churches in town.

It may appear as if I am exaggerating with the above statements; but I assure you, the exaggeration is minimal. Before I sold out my life to the Lord, I truly saw things this way. Because I was afraid of being exposed as a fraud, I have made some errors.

Because I was afraid of being lonely again, I decided to make it my mission to know as many people as possible at church. I did not want to be a loner or a loser in life any longer, so I became a politician instead.

Because I was afraid of failure, I decided to strive for perfection. I wanted everything to go perfectly in my life of service for the Lord, so I pushed myself to the brink of breakdown.

Because I was afraid of being called a phony, I became as involved as possible with ministries: many of them. I wanted to be validated as a Christian, so I spread myself as thin as possible.

Because I was afraid of losing God’s love, I tried to never sin. I wanted Him to love me, and when I failed at my attempts of a sinless life, I assumed I lost His love.

Because I was afraid of my past, I tried to figure out everything I was against. I wanted to set up safeguards to avoid temptation, so I prohibited everything and everyone who was not perfect and holy. In my opinion anyway.

Because I had made so many mistakes in my life before Christ, I tried to become pious and perfect. I wanted to change my life 180º, so I became a hypocrite.

I did do some things right however:

Because I thought my story could help others, I decided to become completely transparent. If you think I am being too hard on myself, do not feel too badly for me. Today’s blog is still to help others. I know other people see Christians the way I described them in the help wanted ad. I want you to know that sometimes Christians seem uptight and judgmental because we are scared. We forget that we have all fallen short of the glory of God (see Romans 3.23) and we begin to think we have it all together. I am transparent in who I am and where I have been because for me, there is no other way to live.

How the real Help Wanted ad appears:

“…I am with you/to rescue and save you, declares the Lord. I will save you from the hands of the wicked and redeem you from the grasp of the cruel.” (Jeremiah 15.20.b-21)
“I said, ‘you are my servant’; I have chosen you and have not rejected you. So do not fear, for I am with you; do not be dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you and help you; I will uphold you with my righteous right hand.” (Isaiah 41.9-10)
“I tell you the truth; whoever hears my word and believes Him who sent me has eternal life and will not be condemned…” (Jesus in John 5.24)
“Whoever serves me must follow me; and where I am, my servant also will be. My Father will honor the one who serves me.” (Jesus in John 12.26)
“You did not choose me, but I chose you and appointed you to go and bear fruit-fruit that will last.” (Jesus in John 15.16)

It seems that this help wanted ad read differently than the one my head was telling me. The truth is that Jesus wants us exactly as we are. He made us, He knows us, and there are no surprises to Him. The most liberating part of this message is that God does not need us! I am not in a hurry to get myself cleaned up so I do not let Him down. Rather, I rest in Him; learning who He is and who I truly am in Him. And that is a job that lasts an eternity. Think about it.

No comments: