Thursday, December 08, 2005

A CHRISTMAS CAROL

A CHRISTMAS CAROL     

In the spirit of the Christmas celebration, I thought I would revive an old classic with some new lyrics.  I remember, “Santa Claus is coming to Town” from when I was a little girl.  I remember thinking about the lyrics when I was about to break the rules, especially as it got nearer to present time.  Heck, I’ve even used the threat of nothing under the tree on my own kids.
But what if we replace ‘Santa’ with Jesus?  What if we support our change with some scripture verses?  Who is Santa but an idea of a man who is somehow omniscient and omnipresent?  He watches, and he takes notes.  Kind of funny in a sad sense if you think about it.

“You better watch out.”
“The creation waits in eager expectation for the sons of God to be revealed.” Romans 8.19

You better not cry.”
“He will wipe away every tear from their eyes.  There will be no more death or mourning or crying or pain, for the old order of things has passed away.” Revelation 21.4

You better not pout.”
“So do not throw away your confidence; it will be richly rewarded.  You need to persevere so that when you have done the will of God, you will be rewarded what he has promised.” Hebrews 10.35-36

“I’m telling you why,”
“I want you to know, brothers (and sisters), that the Gospel I preached is not something that man made up.” Galatians 1.11

Jesus Christ is coming to town”
“Behold, I am coming soon!  My reward is with me, and I will give to everyone according to what he has done.  I am the Alpha and the Omega, the First and the Last, the Beginning and the End.” Jesus Revelation 22.12-13

“He’s making a list”
“All the days ordained for me were written in your book before one of them came to be.” Psalm 139.16

“And checking it twice.”
“…Rejoice that your names are written in heaven.” Jesus Luke 10.20b

“Gonna find out who’s naughty and nice.”
“Righteousness from God comes through faith in Jesus Christ to all who believe.  There is no difference, for all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God and are justified freely by his grace through the redemption that came by Christ Jesus.” Romans 3.22-24

“Jesus Christ is coming to town.”
“But do not forget this one thing, dear friends:  With the Lord a day is like a thousand years, and a thousand years are like a day.  The Lord is not slow in keeping his promise, as some understand slowness.  He is patient with you, not wanting anyone to perish but everyone to come to repentance.” 2 Peter 3.8-9

“He sees you when you’re sleeping.”
”Wake up, O sleeper, rise from the dead, and Christ will shine on you.” Ephesians 5.14

“He knows when you’re awake.”
“The hour has come for you to wake up from your slumber, because our salvation is nearer now than when we first believed.” Romans 13.11

“He knows if you’ve been bad or good,”
“The acts of the sinful nature are obvious: sexual immorality, impurity and debauchery; idolatry and witchcraft; hatred, discord, jealousy, fits of rage, selfish ambition, dissensions, factions and envy; drunkenness, orgies, and the like.  I warn you…that those who live like this will not inherit the kingdom of God.  But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control.”  Galatians 5.19-22

“So be good for goodness sake”
“Therefore, as God’s chosen people, holy and dearly loved, clothe yourselves with compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness and patience. And whatever you do, whether in word or deed, do it all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through him.” Colossians 3.12,17

Sure, Santa was a nice thought when we were younger.  But eventually, someone broke our little hearts by telling us that he wasn’t real.  Now we have a true Jesus, who is not even comparable to anyone else.  And He makes this song a whole lot better.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

WOW...I COULDN'T SLEEP..SO I GOT UP TO CK THE E-MAIL. WHAT A BLESSING,,,THAT IS REALLY COOL. I GUESS COOL DATES ME YET IT REALLY IS AND GOD WILL USE THAT GREATLY.
I MISS YOU MUCH SWEETIE AND HOPE TO SEE YOU SOON,,,GIVE ME A CALL. STEVE HAS HIS EYE DR VISIT TMRRW AFT SO AFTR ..I'LL PRAY.
LUV YA OOODLES..STAY ABIDING/ZEPH 3:17....STORMONSTER