Sunday, November 20, 2005

THE TRANSCENDENT TRUTH

There's a lot of hype that's disguised as truth out there. I used to think that articles I read in the newspaper, or things I heard on television were guaranteed to be the objective truth. The same goes for magazine articles. It never occurred to me that the phrasing of a sentence, or the inflection of a word could change tone and meaning. It took me a long time to realize that information is indeed biased.
Let me assure you that changing my mind about objectiveness was not a product of my being liberal or conservative. In a blog not yet written, but congealing in my mind, I would like to argue that this whole politics thing is getting way too old. I resent being categorized, and so should anyone who follows Christ. I think that when Christianity follows party lines it loses it beautiful shine. It detracts from the truth.
And the truth is what this is really all about, isn't it? In a world where you can't believe what anyone tells you, how do you know the truth when it's really in front of you? If you're like me, you can do your best to pick around the bias and the adjectives to find the nugget of truth hiding inside. Or, you can tune out entirely and go about your business at hand. Sometimes I think that would be easier; to live in a haze of busyness and ignore what doesn't directly affect me.
Of course I can't do that. I believe that the actions happening on the other side of the world do affect me. I just have to dig deep enough to find out the truth.

JESUS SETS THE TRUTH IN MOTION
Of course, I know where to find the real truth. If I were smarter, I would go into great detail about how the Bible has been preserved throughout generations. If I were concerned, I would justify just how accurately the text records God's word to us. However concerned I could be, I am only a human who you would choose to either believe or dismiss. The beauty is, God already took care of that for me. Believe it or not, the Bible is a living, breathing Word that transcends human bias. Whether you choose to accept or deny, the Bible will go on being true. With or without your belief, it will be.
Seventy-eight times Jesus says, "I tell you the truth." I guess one could assume He does that to convince. But that's not why. He says that because on the other side of the ring is the father of lies. Jesus is exclaiming the truth each time He says that.

Transcendent: adj. Beyond normal limits, surpassing Being above and independent of the limitations of the matierial universe.

"I, the Lord, speak the truth; I declare what is right." -Isaiah 45.19

"We have seen His glory, the glory of the One and Only, who came from the Father, full of grace and truth." John 1.14

"I tell you the truth, whoever hears my word and believes Him who sent me has eternal life and will not be condemned; he has crossed over from death to life. " Jesus in John 5.24

"I am the way, the truth, and the life. " Jesus in John 14.6

I could list hundreds more, but why? His truth transcends me, it transcends party lines, it transcends media outlets. No one can change God's truth. No one. I simply report on what I know is true. With bias? Sure. I have saving grace and knowledge of He who rescued me. Think about it.

No comments: