Monday, November 07, 2005

RELATIONSHIP SECRETS!

I wanted to tell this story using hard facts. I even went out and bought this month's trendy women's rag to get some juicy stats. I was reminded why I stopped reading them. Among other things, I found ways to trick a person into loving you, ways to hide who you really are, and thousands and thousands of 'tips' guaranteed to make you or to reel in a better catch.
On the sadder note, doing an internet search for relationship statistics netted me domestic and partner abuse sites.
Well, I have decided to cast statistics aside and write about what all men and women instinctively know. What we are truly looking for in a mate. I have narrowed it down to a top five list.
1. We want our mate to be compassionate. Webster's defines it as 'pity aroused by the distress of others, with the desire to help them.' That's good, to have pity paired with action. We want our mate to care about their surroundings and work to make the world around them a better place.
2. We want to be unconditionally loved by our mate. 'Absolute. Without clarifying conditions.' Everyone wants to be loved in sickness and in health. With or without the extra twenty pounds. Even though we have that irritating way of using the word 'ignorant' when we mean 'rude.' Or, more seriously, we want to be loved when we're obtuse, stubborn and even occasionally mean.
3. We absolutely need our mate to be honest. Webster's says, 'never deceiving, sincere, truthful.' It's usually a deal-breaker when someone violates the other's trust. 'Be honest, no matter what.' People hate being lied to by someone they've given their hearts to.
4. We want passion from our mate. 'intense emotion.' Passion is something that no one should live without, no matter who they are. Passion takes on so many forms, but the passion between two people in love can be remarkable. It's that indescribable, remarkable chemistry. Call it pheromones, call it soulmates; you know when it's there.
5. We need our mate to be faithful. 'Steadfast in faith, loyal, trusting.' Oh sure, this can fall in the honesty category, but who wants to be told their mate was cheating on them? Rather than be honest about cheating, we would rather they don't cheat. We want to be important enough to be cherished and respected.
WHERE IS THIS GOING?

Good question. I have great news for everyone tonight. Your perfect mate has been found! Based completely on the five qualifications, I can point you in the direction of the only one I know that can fulfill them perfectly.
(come on...You know where this is going, right?)

1. Compassionate. Over seventy-five times that word is used in the Bible. Let me give you a few examples of God's kind of compassion for us. "As a father has compassion on his children, so the Lord has compassion on those who fear Him." Psalm 103.13 By the way, that's not the fear as in hide under your bed. Rather, that's the awe and reverence kind of fear. "..With everlasting kindness I will have compassion on you, says the Lord your redeemer." Isaiah 54.8 And finally. The man who had enough compassion to walk among us; "A man with leprosy came to Him and begged Him on his knees, 'If you are willing, you can make me clean.' Filled with compassion, Jesus reached out with His hand and touched the man. 'I am willing,' He said, 'Be clean!'" Mark 1.40-41
2. Unconditional love. Hands down, the Bible has the corner on this one. It is a story of unconditional love. But, if you need a few examples: "...Gracious God, slow to anger, abounding in love," Exodus 34.6 Jesus- "As the Father has loved me, so have I loved you. Now remain in my love." John 16.9 "Your love, O Lord, reaches to the heavens," Psalm 36.5 "Give thanks to the Lord, for He is good; His love endures forever." Psalm 106.1 And, in case you are still unconvinced, the clincher for me; "But God demonstrates His own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us." Romans 5.8
3. Honesty. "All your words are true; all your righteous laws are eternal." Psalm 119.160 "I, the Lord, speak the truth; I declare what is right." Isaiah 45.19 "For the law was given through Moses; grace and truth came through Jesus Christ." John 1.17 As a side note, Jesus uses the phrase, "I tell you the truth" over a hundred times in the New Testament. He was trying to make a point, I would say.
4. Passionate. God is a lover. I didn't understand this one at first. He was more parental than lover. Let's see if this will help. "I have loved you with an everlasting love; I have drawn you with loving-kindness." Jeremiah 31.3 "Since you are precious and honored in my sight, and because I love you, I will give men in exchange for you," Isaiah 43.4 And, Jesus, "He who loves me will be loved by my Father, and I too will love him and show myself to him." John 14.21 I could write more on this. Most of the Old Testament is a passion play. Imagine, you have a lover that you lavish over and are overjoyed with. That same lover goes and tosses you to the side for want of others. That's God, the one who was forsaken. His passionate heart seeks after us when we don't deserve it. Remember that.
5. Faithful. I think we've covered that, haven't we? A faithful One sends His Son to a world to die. A faithful one listens to our prayers, hears our tears, and holds us when we fall. "They will be my people, and I will be faithful and righteous to them as their God." Zechariah 8.8 "He is the Rock,His works are perfect, and all His ways are just. A faithful God who does no wrong, upright and just is He." Deuteronomy 32.4
Well, I could have kept going with examples. There are thousands of testimonies to God's faith, love, passion, honesty and compassion. He can't compare with anything we can see on this earth. He wants to have a perfect relationship with you. Think about it.

No comments: