Thursday, October 06, 2005

THE REST OF THE STORY

So, one morning I woke up and felt this burning desire to go to church. I have to admit, looking back, that a desire to stab a fork in my eye would have made more sense to me. We hadn't been to church in years, and I had given up on God years before. Anyhow, off to church we went, the man, me and our two kids. Well, all good Catholic churches had already started. We drove around town, and found one that would be offering a service at 6pm that evening. We decided to go back then, but we had a few knockdown fights, and by the time 6 rolled around, no one wanted to go but me. So, off I went; determined to find out why I needed to go, and then to have fun at a bar afterwards.
Well, the mass was just as I remembered it; boring songs and repeat-after-me memorization quotes. But, then we settled in for the sermon. I was not expecting anything at this point. Priest got up, and began to talk about the gifts of the Spirit (very unusual for a Catholic). I will never forget this. He held up a glass of white milk, said this is your soul. Then he started pouring in chocolate syrup and said this is what it's like when you are baptized, given communion, and confirmed. He added a spoon and started stirring, saying that this is what your life is like when you use the gifts of the Spirit.
Well, he listed off some of the gifts, and I heard self-control (ha), wisdom and some others. Well, wisdom sounded great to me. I prayed, 'God, I give up. If you're out there, and you think you can do better with my messed-up life, go right ahead. Give me some wisdom so I can figure out what to do.' I left service and went to the bar, not thinking anything about it.
I can sum up what happened next in the biggest understatement ever; Things changed. The first thing I started doing was listening to Christian radio. I knew those people would have some information about what had just happened to me. Through advice I heard on the radio, I decided to start going to Christian counseling. Through him, I started attending a Christian 12-step group and started attending their Evangelical church where I rededicate my life to Christ. I woke up one morning with a burning desire to go to school again, and I just graduated with my bachelor's in Christian Ministry (see picture.) My fiance and I got married finally.
I know that there are other ways to describe what happened to my life. But I was in it. I know how fast it was going down the tubes, and I was ready to let that happen. God picked up my life from a sewer and cleaned me off.
He asks one thing of me; to love Him. To take the time to get to know Him, and be obedient to Him like you would any loved one. He asks me to lean on Him (which I'm not good at) and to trust Him (even worse). When I can't do that, He forgives me.
My life isn't perfect. My husband and I argue sometimes, I still sin. I am only forgiven.
WHAT'S THE POINT?
He loves you as much as He does me. He wants your heart, and your scars and bruises too. If you're His already, He wants the parts of you that you're keeping from Him. He wants ALL of you. I ask you to show me a human that wants every part of any of us; our good, our bad, our ugly. Yet, He does.
Think about it...

No comments: