Wednesday, September 07, 2005

WHAT A LOVE STORY

I cannot escape the fairytale. I was born into a little girl's world of Cinderella, Beauty and the Beast, and Sleeping Beauty. As I got older, I would read the teen romances and dream of the man (prince) that would take me away from my wretched life. If you were a boy, I imagine there's a similar, yet different story. You we told tales of the mighty kings, the handsome princes, and you knew that you wanted to be the man (prince) who slayed the dragon.
So, where are we now? I for one have never tried on a glass slipper, and my husband, while slaying many deer, has never had to kill for my rescue.
But, millions of women flock to the theater to see the same story told in a couple of different ways. Even though today's story is a single mother with four kids who is rescued by her prince, and the rescuing doesn't even necessarily look like the traditional story, it is the same. For the men's movie, they rescue planets, countries, and women. Premise, still the same.
And, what are we looking for at the end of the movie? Well, for my eight bucks, I want to see the boy get the girl and the proverbial ride off into the sunset. For my husband, he relishes the war movie where the good guys sustain less damage and the town is rescued from the evil warlords. We want to see love (good) triumph.

WHAT'S THE POINT?

My point is this...Imagine for a moment that you're God. Don't worry, this isn't a creepy Master of the Universe thing. But the thing that I never realized when I was off chasing love and laughing at Christians was that the Bible is the ultimate love story. No lie. I thought Christians were this bunch of puritanical backward folk. Well, maybe some are, but to each his own interpretation. To others of us, there's this unbelievable romance that unfolds between, get this, God and His people!
I'll be honest. The first time someone suggested God as a lover (hats off and compliments to John Eldredge) I got squirmy. But then I read it for myself. Look:

"God says, 'If a husband divorces his wife and she goes from him and belongs to another man, Will he still return to her? Will not that land be completely polluted? (Jer. 3.1)

"Return...Declares the Lord; I will not look upon you in anger. For I am gracious, declares the Lord; I will not be angry forever..."(Jer 3.12)

"Surely, as a woman treacherously departs from her lover, So you have dealt treacherously with Me," (Jer 3.20)

"And you, O desolate one, what will you do? Although you dress in scarlet, Although you decorate yourself with ornaments of gold, Although you enlarge your eyes with paint, In vain you make yourself beautiful. Your lovers despise you; They seek your life." (Jer 4.30)

And on and on it goes. Back and forth; anger and misery. God. I can't imagine my husband doing the same thing for me, nor I for him. Cheating again and again on the One who gave you everything, and His Heart, and going with another. Especially going with another you know is bad for you.
What a true love story. My heart aches for the One who allowed the truth to be written down for all to see. To read about a Heart broken and bleeding for the ones He called His own.
And, to make the greatest true story told even better, He does it again!!!!!!!! This time, He sends His own Son to die, in order to have His love returned to Him. Could you imagine for one instant allowing that to happen to your son? Oh, to only dream of such a love.

But then... I realize that I am that heartless, thoughtless lover.

TO BE ..CONTINUED...

No comments: