Monday, August 29, 2005

WHAT'S IN A NAME

I like my name. I grew up in a very large city, and my ethnicity was something I carried as a banner to proclaim who I was. My maiden name was of a Mexican origin, and I was very proud of it. When I moved to Minnesota, I was still proud of it, however, most people had a hard time pronouncing it. I never planned to change my name. I used my race to explain my anger, my defensiveness.
But then, things changed, as both my fiance and my two children had a different last name than me, and I felt like I had to explain something to everyone. I felt like an outsider.
Now I'm married, and the first time I heard someone call me 'Mrs. XXXXX,' I had to stop and think about it. About how far Mr. XXXXX and I had come, and how blessed I am that he stayed with me through it all. I realized that I was clinging to the wrong name for so long because of fear. Now I have the right name, and a new outlook on life.

AND YOU SHALL CALL HIS NAME...JESUS, PRINCE OF PEACE, MIGHTY GOD, WONDERFUL COUNSELOR, HOLY ONE, LAMB OF GOD, PRINCE OF LIFE, LORD GOD ALMIGHTY, LION OF THE TRIBE OF JUDAH, ROOT OF DAVID, WORD OF LIFE, AUTHOR AND FINISHER OF OUR FAITH, ADVOCATE, THE WAY, DAYSPRING, LORD OF ALL, I AM, SON OF GOD, SHEPHERD AND BISHOP OF SOULS, MESSIAH, THE TRUTH, SAVIOR, CHIEF CORNERSTONE, KING OF KINGS, RIGHTEOUS JUDGE, LIGHT OF THE WORLD, HEAD OF THE CHURCH, MORNING STAR, SUN OF RIGHTEOUSNESS, LORD JESUS CHRIST, CHIEF SHEPHERD, RESURRECTION AND LIFE, HORN OF SALVATION, GOVERNOR, THE ALPHA AND THE OMEGA, ANCIENT OF DAYS.

WHAT'S THE POINT?

When I first became the Lord's, I knew I had some baggage that shouldn't be coming with on the journey any longer, so I starting seeing a Christian counselor. He was a great counselor, and he helped me to forgive myself and others, and begin down the road of forgiveness. However, he suggested that I start picturing God as my father. For me, and I suspect many, this is a bad choice. I haven't seen my father since I was eight. Fathers just don't have the same reputation that they once had. So, once that association was in my head, I had a tough time disassociating God from my earthly father. I pictured a God that was a violent, punishing god. He would be there for me sometimes, and not be there others.
My counselor made one more mistake. Not knowing my past, he also suggested when things got tough, many people like to picture God holding them on His lap. Since I had been sexually abused as a young teen, that image did all kinds of poor things for God.
None of this was the counselor's fault. These images work for some; but for others, it does not.

But take a look at that list of names. When I saw that list the first time, three of these became my favorite, and they draw me so close to God, that I can cling to Him and worship Him. I am, Ancient of Days, and the Alpha and the Omega. Those names are so packed with power and awesomeness. They command reverence and sovereignty. Those are names that signify my God. Who else can call themselves 'I AM' and need no other explaination? Or try and wrap your mind around 'Ancient of Days.' I love that one because it is so timeless. God cannot be captured in time. He does not have an age. Finally, picture 'The Alpha and the Omega.' The beginning and the ending of all things. They take my breath away.
So, if you cannot connect with God because of some reason or another, or if you have been rejecting Him, try to see Him in a different light. Look at Him through one of those names and just take the time to picture it in your mind. He's worth that, isn't He? We try and picture different races and put ourselves in their shoes in order to show tolerance and to seek understanding. Give God the same consideration. Look at how many different things He can be for you. He truly is your All in All.
Think about it...


No comments: