Wednesday, September 05, 2007

a public confession

Confess:
1: to tell or make known (as something wrong or damaging to oneself): ADMIT
2 a: to acknowledge (sin) to God
3: to declare faith in or adherence to: PROFESS
4: to give evidence of1 a: to disclose one's faults; specifically: to unburden one's sins or the state of one's conscience to God
2: ADMIT, OWN

The Old Testament book Leviticus talks about sin offerings. In those days, if a person sinned against the Lord, they would bring an unblemished animal to the priest, and the priest would make atonement for the person with the ‘sin offering,’ or the ‘trespass offering.’ The Mishnah, or the oral traditions of the Old Testament, records the confession as something like the following:

"O Lord, I have committed iniquity, transgressed, and sinned before you, I and my house. O Lord, forgive the iniquities, transgressions, and sins, which I have done by committing iniquity, transgression, and sin before you, I and my house. As it is written in the Torah of Moses, your servant, 'For on this day shall atonement be made for you to cleanse you. From all your sins shall you be clean before the Lord.’

I think it may have been easier to drag an animal to a priest than to confess my sins and transgressions to my fellow brothers and sisters. In the New Testament, we are told to ‘confess our sins to one another.’ (James 5.16) How can I tell people the truth that lurks inside?

“To long for relevance, success, effectiveness, and glory – this is not just a slight misunderstanding of the Gospel, but its very betrayal. It is not error. It is, according to Jesus, satanic.” Jesus Mean & Wild Mark Galli

How can something like that lurk inside me? How can I walk around on a daily basis, seemingly humble about my job cleaning my church, while thinking to myself how God is wasting my time and talent? I keep a constant cycle of thought running in my mind, ‘Oh, if I could just share my ideas and vision with this church, how we could all benefit!’ When Lord, are you going to get me off the bench?

So, with this kind of self-glorifying vile running through my head, how can I tell something this? They would think I was slime. Where’s a goat when I need one?

“For we also once were foolish ourselves, disobedient, deceived, enslaved to various lusts and pleasures, spending our life in malice and envy, hateful, hating one another. but when the kindness of God our Savior and His love for mankind appeared, He saved us, not on the basis of deeds which we have done in righteousness, but according to His mercy, by the washing of regeneration and renewing by the Holy Spirit, whom He poured out upon us richly through Jesus Christ our Savior so that being justified by His grace we would be made heirs according to the hope of eternal life.” Titus 3.3-7

Well, I guess the goat isn’t necessary anymore. I came from that world. I believe that it would be betraying the Gospel if I wanted to work for the Lord because I thought I could do it better than the people who do it now.

Jesus said, “It’s who you are and the way you live that count before God. Your worship must engage your spirit in the pursuit of truth. That’s the kind of people the Father is out looking for: those who are simply and honestly themselves before Him in their worship. God is sheer being itself – Spirit. Those who worship Him must do it out of their very being, their spirits, their true selves, in adoration.” John 4.13-14

I want to serve the Lord because of what He saved me from. I was a wreck, as those of you who read this already well know, and He pulled me up from the gutter. And the grave. My desire to serve Him comes from that gratitude, from the pure mercy He extended to me. I am not looking to glorify myself. Although, to be totally honest, in my humanness it feels good to go from someone who most people had written off to a completely different person. I am proud of myself for finishing college and going for my Master’s. And I think that’s okay as I point the glory to my Father.

So I confess, I have a big dream to serve my Father. One of them is lived out by writing this blog. Another is to help people know that they too can be themselves before the Lord too.

No comments: