Wednesday, August 30, 2006

"Meant To Live"-by Switchfoot

Fumbling his confidence
And wondering why the world has passed him by
Hoping that he's bent for more than arguments
And failed attempts to fly, fly

[Chorus]
We were meant to live for so much more
Have we lost ourselves?
Somewhere we live inside
Somewhere we live inside
We were meant to live for so much more
Have we lost ourselves?
Somewhere we live inside

Dreaming about Providence
And whether mice or men have second tries
Maybe we've been livin with our eyes half open
Maybe we're bent and broken, broken

[Chorus]
We want more than this world's got to offer
We want more than this world's got to offer
We want more than the wars of our fathers
And everything inside screams for second life, yeah
We were meant to live for so much more
Have we lost ourselves?
We were meant to live for so much more

Have we lost ourselves?
We were meant to live for so much more
Have we lost ourselves?
We were meant to live
We were meant to live




If you get a chance to hear this song, I think you would enjoy it. Switchfoot is sort of a younger band-they appeal to youth. However, I think they have a nice sound and a great message.

I picked this song because of a conversation I had yesterday with my mentor. I wish there were words to describe her. She is a gift from God. If you take the chance and become born again in Christ, He provides people to walk with you and essentially help raise you in Christ.

Well, my mentor has become like a mother and a best friend and a sister all wrapped up in one package. She listens to my fears, my problems, and my hopes. She helps to answer questions I have. And she does all of this without any judgment. Occasionally she will reprimand me, but it is when I really need it. Her life is similar to mine, and I can tell her anything.

So, we were having a conversation yesterday on the phone. She called, not realizing it was my first day of graduate school. I was feeling nostalgic because I was going back to the school where I learned how to walk with Christ. I went to school not knowing how to read the Bible, not understanding anything really. But I met these extraordinary people who helped raise me.

Eventually we grow up, and then we help others. We are a family; and we should accept each other’s differences with love. We are all sinners who fall short of the glory of God.

Anyway, back to the conversation. She called and my heart was overflowing with emotion; love and sorrow mixed. Sorrow only because I missed the past. But God called me to return to school because my passion is reaching out to the world, and I need more training.

When I was talking to my mentor, we started discussing what passions the Lord gave us. I started talking about my passion for reaching out to others and I started on fire. I need to world to know that the church is not full of perfect people. We are messed up, we have troubles in our marriages, we yell at our kids on the way to church sometimes.

But Jesus forgives all that-He wipes the slate clean because He loves us. He didn’t come for perfect people, but for the rest of us. With all our differences.

When I was talking about this I said, “I want to reach the people outside the church, not throw parties for those who are already inside.” I know there’s a place in the church to love and nourish the souls of the saved, but that’s not where I belong.

Well, here is what I think is the cool part. The Lord let me to read Matthew last night. And I found the most amazing thing. A passage I had never read before. I am going to write it out in both The Message Bible and the NIV Bible. God truly is in charge and he truly wants you.

“Who needs a doctor: the healthy or the sick? Go figure out what this Scripture means: ‘I’m after mercy, not religion.’ I’m here to invite outsiders, not coddle insiders.” –Jesus in Matthew 9.12-13

“It is not the healthy who need a doctor, but the sick. But go and learn what this means: ‘I desire mercy, not sacrifice.’ For I have not come to call the righteous, but sinners.”-Jesus in Matthew 9.12-13

Think about it.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

IT'S VERY LATE AND I JUST HAD TO READ IT,,,WOW,,,AMEN...I'LL CALL TOMORROW....LOVE YOU SOOOO MUCH..ZEPH 3:17


TOOOOOOO COOL .WE SERVE SUCH AN AWESOME GOD .WOW..WHAT CAN I SAY..
ALL BECAUSE OF HIM AND HE CALLS US FRIEND...WOW...THANKS LORD I SURE DO LOVE YOU...GOODNIGHT SWEETIR ...TALK TO YOU TOMROW...XXXOOOO