Wednesday, July 05, 2006

fireworks

For all of us in the great county of America, yesterday was the Fourth of July.  It is, of course, the day we take time to celebrate our independence from British rule.  We also pause to reflect on what our Armed Forces have done to protect that independence both here and abroad.

However you celebrated yesterday; with family, friends: at a barbeque or under a fireworks display, I hope it was enjoyable.  I had the pleasure of attending the party of a friend.  We had a great time playing volleyball, eating various dishes and fellowshipping with both old and new friends.  

There was something new at this party.  Toward the end, we all gathered in the living room.  I had no idea what was to come.  The host of the party, my friend, started out by asking what all of us had to be thankful for.  Then, we sang songs.  Although I struggled with singing a cappella in a crowded room, I was moved to tears by the sound of all these voices united in song.  We sang “My County 'Tis of Thee,” and “God Bless America,” and “The Star Spangled Banner.”  

After I left the party, I continued to reflect on what things made me thankful.  Then, it dawned on me.  I have another Independence Day.  

My Independence Day is August 18th.  It was that day I became free from bondage and oppression.  It was the day that my Redeemer came to save me.  My dictionary defines ‘redeem’ as:  to get back full possession of and to save from being a total failure.

To save from being a total failure-how beautiful those words ring true in my life.  I would never have made this life without Jesus.  I need to celebrate the day I became independent from the chains that tied me to darkness.

Funny thing though, this independence.  I was worshipping God today with music and a line from a song hit me, “for it’s only in your will that I am free.”  I became independent from Satan to become dependant on Jesus.  I think that is a great trade.

So, if you are the Lord’s, a Christian, then you need to claim and celebrate your personal Independence Day.  If you are not yet His, think about these things-

“So if the Son sets you free, you will be free indeed.” Jesus in John 8.36

“The Spirit of life in Christ, like a strong wind, has magnificently cleared the air, freeing you from a fated lifetime of brutal tyranny at the hands of sin and death.” – Romans 8.2

“Oh God, here I am, your servant, your faithful servant; set me free for your service!” Psalm 116.16

“But whoever catches a glimpse of the revealed counsel of God-the free life!-even out of the corner of their eye, and sticks with it, is no distracted scatterbrain but a man or woman of action.  That person will find delight and affirmation in the action.” – James 1.25

I am free!  I do not serve Jesus Christ because I am required to, because I am forced.  I am not brainwashed, not confused.  I have clarity that I never had before.  I serve Jesus because it feels so good.  It feels wonderful to have the blinders fall off, to have the Son shine down on me.

See the fireworks that light the night sky during this holiday?  To me, they represent my heart bursting for joy at the thought of my Redeemer.  Think about it.

No comments: