Wednesday, April 19, 2006

Holy Words Batman!

From the Chicago Cubs’ Harry Carey to Batman’s sidekick Robin, the word holy sure gets around, doesn’t it?  ‘Holy cow,’ ‘holy smokes,’ ‘holy moley.’   I cannot even count the number of times I hear something like that every day.  

They are as far removed from God as can be.  The word holy means nothing when it is said in this context.  There is even a definition for the word holy in situations like those that I have listed; it’s called adding emphasis to a statement.  For example, “Holy cow was that fish ever big!”

The same can be said for God, can’t it?  “Oh my God” has to be one of the most frequent statement uttered on television today.  It is said in regards to the taste of food, to a new hairstyle, to a handsome man walking down the street.  

The funny thing is, the speaker does not even realize whom they are talking about when they say those kinds of things.  I know I didn’t when I used to say them.  They were just another way of expressing myself.  “Oh my God” was used when I wanted to express shock or surprise and “Holy _____” was said when I wanted to express surprise or wonder.    

What I wonder is what God hears when people do this.  I know I would not appreciate it if my name was used.  

But think about this.  It has been bothering me to hear this on television and in conversation lately, but I have another thought on the whole subject.  I think they are both used so much because subconsciously, people need God.  These words are inherent to our beings; our actual souls.  We were born looking for our Savior.

How many times have you heard somebody shout out “Jesus Christ!” when they have been scared or hurt?  Do you ever hear anybody shout “Abraham Lincoln!” or “Oh my Gandhi?”

AND HERE’S THE POINT…

The dictionary has several other definitions for holy.  

-Awe-inspiring, having a character that invokes reverence.
-Sacred, relating to, belonging to, or coming from a divine being.
-Exalted or worthy of complete devotion as one perfect in goodness and righteousness.

How different are those definitions compared with how the word is used.  I believe that deep down inside, everybody is looking for these things.  Somebody to be awe-inspiring; to cradle as sacred.  We have to be able to reach out to something that really is worth complete devotion.  


Here’s what a few Bible writers had to say about God’s holiness.
“Holy, Holy, Holy is the Lord Almighty,
The whole earth is fully of his glory”-angels in heaven

“The Holy One of Israel is your Redeemer; He is called the God of all the earth.”-Isaiah

“I will show my greatness and holiness, and I will make myself known in the sight of many nations.  Then they will know that I am the Lord.”-God speaking to the prophet Ezekiel

“For us there is but one God, the Father, from whom all things came and for whom we live; and there is but one Lord, Jesus Christ, through whom all things came and through whom we live.”-the apostle Paul.

Finally, one more thought to ponder the next time you open your mouth:

“You shall not misuse the name of the Lord your God, for the Lord will not hold anyone guiltless who misuses His name.” – God in the 10 Commandments

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

HI SWEETHEART..WOW IT HAS BEEN TOO LONG AND WE HAVE BEEN TOO BUSY..THE LORD IS REQUESTING MY ATTENTION QUITE GENTLY AND WITH GREAT LOVE...OF ALL TO REQUEST...HE SHOULD NOT HAVE TOO. IT SHOULD BE CONSTANT AND WITH GREAT JOY AND AWE. YOUR BLOG IS ALWAYS CONVICTING AND THOUGHT PROVOKING..NOT ALWAYS BUT SOMETIMES DEPENDING ON THE CIRCUMSTANCE WHEN SOMEONE SAYS JESUS CHRIST.. I WILL SAY " OH HE IS MY BEST FRIEND"...AND THEY STOP AND LOOK PUZZLED OR ANGRY...I REMEMBER TOO WELL TOO OFTEN WHEN I SO LIGHTLY SAID ALL THOSE WORDS..I REALLY NEED TO GO TO KUNCH WITH YOU COULD YOU DROP BY NEXT WEEK AND WE COULD SPEND THE DAY TOGETHER...I ACHE FOR YOUR FELLOWSHIP AND MISS YOU TERRIBLY AND THANK GOD I KNOW YOU AND HAVE BEEN PART OF YOUR LIFE GOD IS DOING SUCH KOOL THINGS DEAR ONE...HOW IS THE RON AND THE MUNCHKINS..GIVE THEM MY LOVE AND HUGS AND KISSES. I WILL TRY TO CALL REEAL SOON WHEN IS GOOD TIME? WE PUT ABOUT 80 CD'S ON AMAZON.COM YESTERDAY AND HAVE SOLD $99 ALREADY..WOW WHAT FUN BUT MAYBE THAT WAS JUST BEGINNER'S WHATEVER.LOVE YOU SOOOOOOOOO MUCH 1THESS 1:2-3 READ AND PONDER...THE STORMEISTER XXXXOOOOXXXXOOOOXXXXOOOOXXXXOOOO