Wednesday, February 01, 2006

deer in headlights


I had another article lined up for tonight, but something more interesting came up in the meantime.  Since this idea includes a neat little story, I thought I would write this one first.  The other one will have to wait until next week.
Ok, ok, here’s the story.  My husband and I attend a small group Bible study at someone’s house every other Sunday.  This Sunday was no different, except the previous week our marriage sustained serious damage, of which we were beginning to emerge.  It seemed to me that we went though some sort of a ten-year crisis, but having never gone through one, I cannot be positive.  It did appear that everything in our relationship that usually simmered below the surface began to boil over and make a terrible mess.  
My emotions were all over the map during that week of crisis.  I tried to cling to Jesus, I really did.  Just when I thought I could keep my focus on Him, my anger or my sadness would take hold of me and my sight would veer. Half of the time I would pray; the other half I would curse.  Just when things were their bleakest, the fighting between my husband and me stopped.
The thing that has to be clear is that the distress in our marriage was catastrophic and had the potential to be fatal.  Sure, we had our fights in the past, but nothing compared to this one.  Words were said that acted as daggers, doors seemed to slam shut, never to be opened again.

We are driving home from the Bible study.  We are cautiously optimistic to one another.  The peace treaty is fragile; the relationship is more delicate then ever before.  Small words are said like, “Good group tonight, huh?”  
Then all at once, I am impressed with the knowledge that my husband should slow the van down.  I need to let you know something about my husband.  Because of his line of work, he has taken several defensive driving and emergency vehicle driving classes.  He is an outstanding driver, and I feel very safe driving with him.  Because of his passion for hunting, he is also very competent at spotting ‘eyes’ on the sides of the road.  I need to emphasize that I never have urges to criticize his driving.  
So, weighing our delicate relationship with this now pressing need to tell him to slow down, I proceed with caution.  I respectfully ask him to slow down.  Thankfully, he looks puzzled, but does what I asked.  Almost immediately, the headlights shine on a herd of deer.  I realize that deer don’t travel in herds, but there are at least a dozen deer right in front of us.  They look at us with casual surprise, and then move along into the night.

AND NOW RUNS THE POINT…

I think it is absolutely amazing that Jesus seeks after us even when we are a disaster.  I had just spent the past week feeling sorry for myself and being angry with Him, but He was still speaking at me.  
True story turns into cheesy analogy ahead:  it occurred to me that I was that deer in the headlights.  When the hard lights of adversity and struggle pierced my eyes, I froze.  I did not have the strength to take refuge in Him.  I focused on my circumstances rather than on God.  The deer freeze at the sight of headlights because their eyes are accustomed to gathering light in the darkness.  So when the lights shine on them, their eyes freak out (not a technical term) and they are blinded.  I was so blinded by my anger and our fight that I could no longer see the truth; that God was with us and He was in our situation.  But as God is an eternal lover, He kept right along side of us and averted potential disaster.

“Since God has so generously let us in on what He is going, we’re not about to throw up our hands and walk off the job just because we run into occasional hard times.  We refuse to wear masks and play games.  We don’t maneuver and manipulate behind the scenes.  And we don’t twist God’s Word to suit ourselves…So we’re not giving up.  How could we! even though on the outside it often looks like things are falling apart on us; on the inside, where God is making new life, not a day goes by without His unfolding grace.  These hard times are small potatoes compared to the coming good times, the lavish celebration prepared for us.  There’s far more here than meets the eye.  The things we see now are here today, gone tomorrow.  But the things we can’t see now will last forever.” Paul in 2 Corinthians 4.1, 16-18

Not a day goes by without God’s unfolding grace.  My husband and I were not alone through our struggles.  It was I who walked away from God; it was I who tried to make it on my own.  And it was God who stayed loyal and loving, protecting us from harm.
Think about it.  

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

HI SWEETHEART...!!!
I ALSO BELIEVE YOU HAVE THE GIFT OF ENCOURAGEMENT...THS BLOG HAD TO SPEAK TO ZLIIONS OF PEOPLE. I LOVE YOUR HONESTY AND FORTHWRITE WAY OF EXPLAINING THINGS. IT IS REALLY REFRESHING AND BOLD IN A GOD WAY. I MISS YOU VERY MUCH MORE THAN YOU COULD REALIZE YET I HAVE TO RUN TO HIM OR I WOULD SINK IN A DEEP DARK HOLE ALSO FILLED WITH SELF PITY AND ALL THOSE SICKIENING EMOTIONS THAT GO WITH. I SPOKE TO THE DRUGGIST HE SAID ALL YOU HAVE TO DO IS ASK FOR MY PRES BY STEPHANIE REDMAN I AM MAILING YOU A CK THANKYOU SOOO MUCH HE WIIL HOLD THE 2ND OR 3RD.
GIVE ALL BIG HUGS AND GOOEY KISSES.
BECAUSE OF HIM.
GRACE TO YOU AND BLESSINGS PLUS.
THE STORMEISTER