Thursday, January 12, 2006

mythology debunked



Oh, I fear that my last blog was too sad-sounding, so here I am again to cast off sorrowful veils.  Everybody’s life falls to levels that make them uncomfortable.  I dare say that what separates them from me is that I have no shame.  Or, at least I like to pretend I have no shame.  I write about these kinds of issues so you can look at yourself without public inspection.  

I really want people to know that becoming a Christian does not make the kinds of valleys I wrote about disappear.  In fact, these valleys make me stronger by revealing myths that I need to vanquish.  That’s why I wrote this story.  Two things bother me:  pre-Christians tend to think we are supposed to be perfect, and Christians hesitate to talk about the really hard stuff.  It’s easier for all of us to say everything’s fine, isn’t it?

Ok, so back to the story.  I’m in the valley, waiting desperately to be pulled out. I am running for my myths for comfort and security.  If I’m smart, I’m reading the Bible and praying.  If I’m not, then I’m feeling sorry for myself and delving even deeper in my mythical havens.  More often than not, I opt for the latter.  

But I ask again- Does Jesus have any opinion on this?  Does the Bible offer any respite from the valley?

He promises that we are protected through the valley:
“Jesus said to his disciples, ‘Hard trials and temptations are bound to come, but too bad for whoever brings them on!  Better to wear a millstone necklace and take a swim in the deep blue sea than give even one of these dear little ones a hard time!’” Jesus in Luke 17.1-2

He promises us that the valleys are worth it!
If you don’t go all the way with me, through thick and thin, you don’t deserve me.  If your first concern is to look after yourself, you’ll never find yourself.  But if you forget about yourself and look to me, you’ll find both yourself and me.” Jesus in Matthew 10.38-39

He promises that we are definitely not alone in the valley:
Anyone who intends to come with me has to let me lead.  You’re not in the driver’s seat, I am.  Don’t run from suffering; embrace it.  Follow me and I’ll show you how.  Self-help is no help at all.  Self-sacrifice is the way, my way, to finding yourself, your true self.” Jesus in Matthew 16.24-25

I’m going to let Paul have the final word tonight.  He is talking here about the thorn he had.  To put into context:  Paul’s job was to preach God’s word to the Gentiles.  He is talking about the wonderful visions and revelations of heaven and such that God gave him and here is what he says:

“Because of the extravagance of those revelations, and so I wouldn’t get a big head, I was given the gift of a handicap to keep me in constant touch with my limitations.  Satan’s angel did his best to get me down; what he in fact did was push me to my knees.  No danger then of walking around high and mighty!  At first I didn’t think of it as a gift, and begged God to remove it.  Three times I did that, and then he told me, ‘My grace is enough; it’s all you need.  My strength comes into its own in your weakness.’
Once I heard that, I was glad to let it happen.  I quit focusing on the handicap and began appreciating the gift.  It was a case of Christ’s strength moving in on my weakness.  Now I take limitations in stride, and with good cheer, these limitations that cut me down to size-abuse, accidents, opposition, bad breaks.  I just let Christ take over!  And so the weaker I get, the stronger I become.” Paul in 2 Corinthians 12.7-10

Can I say what Paul said through my valleys?  Can I remove the myths and ‘just let Christ take over?’  Paul was not a superhero; he was a man who had his eyes on the only true prize, Jesus.  Rather than escaping as I try to do, he kept his eyes focused on the reality of the sufficiency of Christ.  He embraced the thorn, actually believing that it was a gift to keep him grounded and focused on Christ rather than himself.  

Oh Father, thank you for always telling the truth.  Thank you for not always answering prayer the way I would have you answer it.  Thank you for the trials and temptations in my life that make me a better person for you.  Jesus, we would be so lost without you.  No matter what I may think, you are my strength, my reliance.  Thank you most of all for being so much more than a myth.      

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

WAY TO GO DEAR WOMAN OF GOD...THAT WAS REFRESHING AND CONVICTING SO NEEDLESS TO SAY I WILL REVIEW THIS ONE OFTEN...ALONG WITH HIS ASSURANCE IT GAVE ME FOOD FOR THOUGHT AND CHALLENGED ME...RITE NOW I AM PHYSICALLY SICK AGAIN PERHAPS THAT IS PART OF MY THORN..PRAISE GOD LOOK FORWARD TO SEEING YOU AND YOURS...BECAUSE OF HIM...STORMY JEAN