Friday, July 13, 2007

Be engaged

1: to offer (as one's word) as security for a debt or cause2 c: to interlock with:
3: to bind (as oneself) to do something; especially: to bind by a pledge to marry5 a: to hold the attention of b: to induce to participate
6 a: to enter into contest or battle with
1 a: to pledge oneself: PROMISE b: GUARANTEE
4: to come together and interlock: be or become in gear

Years ago, you could have exchanged ‘engage’ for ‘entrap’ and I would not have noticed the difference. I got engaged the first time when I was twenty. I thought it was the most romantic idea, swept off my feet into a fairy tale. That didn’t last long. I started to see the relationship as a means to an end, never to look at the outside world again. When I went out with my friends, I would slip off the ring and hide it in my purse. I told myself it was just to see if I got any attention.

What I got was out of the relationship. It was four years before I became engaged again. This time, I knew it was right. This was the guy for me, and it would last forever. Then, the ring started finding itself in my purse again, and I started feeling claustrophobic again.

Luckily, he didn’t abandon me and we are now married. I realized that engaged did indeed me to bind myself to another, but it did not mean the end of me as an individual. My husband gives me the freedom to be who I truly am.

The politics and social issues of today’s world seek to engage me. I am caught up in the blowing winds of chaos and war and abuse all around the globe. I find myself carried by the tides and waves that threaten to slam me onto shore.

Here’s a short list of things currently holding my attention: AIDS, child abuse, child trafficking, the war, the White House, illegal immigration, global warming and who is to be the next President.

In the Bible, Paul addresses this very issue: “I’d say you’ll do best by filling your minds and meditating on things true, noble, reputable, authentic, compelling, gracious-the best, not the worst; the beautiful, not the ugly; things to praise, not things to curse…Do that, and God, who makes everything work together, will work you into his most excellent harmonies.” Philippians 4.8-9

Do I do that? Do I engage God, rather than the world? Do I spend too much time worrying about the world crashing down around me rather than remembering that God is in control? Now don’t get me wrong. It’s not okay to check out of society; waiting on a hill, staring up at the sky for Jesus to come down. Instead, I should make sure I am focusing on God’s word, not man’s. I should be able to give God’s answer to what is good in the world, to acknowledge that God is still ultimately in control.

Jesus tells us, “Let me tell you why you are here. You’re here to be salt-seasoning that brings out the God-flavors of this earth. If you lose your saltiness, how will people taste godliness?...You’re here to be light, bringing out the God-colors in the world. God is not a secret to be kept. We’re going public with this, as public as a city on a hill.” Matthew 5.13-14

Jesus gave His life exactly as my Merriam-Webster describes it, to offer (as one's word) as security for a debt or cause. His cause is that people might see His love and His light shining through His believers and know the truth. And the truth is; we need to strive to live up to His standards, not the world’s. What does God say about the issues I worry about? Do you think He cares about the little children crying in their beds tonight because their parents just beat them? And do I have an obligation to do something about them if I know God’s heart?
3: to bind (as oneself) to do something; 4: to come together and interlock: be or become in gear. I need to remember to stay engaged with Christ, not with my wandering mind. The world will always strive to drive me away from what is true, what is right. And then I need to refocus and reflect on the words of comfort and engagement Jesus Himself offered me,

“Are you tired? Worn out? Burned out on religion? Come to me. Get away with me and you’ll recover your life. I’ll show you how to take a real rest. Walk with me and work with me-watch how I do it. Learn the unforced rhythms of grace. I won’t lay anything heavy or ill-fitting on you. Keep company with me and you’ll learn to live freely and lightly.” Matthew 11.28-30

No comments: