Wednesday, May 30, 2007

My Exodus or where are my Hinds' feet?


My counselor has recommended many great books to me. Books that assist in spiritual development and self-actualization mostly. I am reading one of the recommended books now. It’s called, “Hinds’ Feet in High Places.” It is an allegory describing a girl named Much-Afraid and her journey with her Great Shepherd to the High Places. I could never do it justice in this limited space, but it speaks a great deal about our spiritual journey with Christ.

I found a passage that fits the following message I wrote this weekend. It describes where the Shepherd leaves Much-Afraid in the care of his two companions to continue with her on her journey to the High Places. Much-Afraid asks why he cannot accompany her all the way.

He answers, “Much-Afraid, I could do what you wish. I could carry you all the way up to the High Places myself, instead of leaving you to climb there. But if I did, you would never be able to develop hinds’ feet, and become my companion and go where I go. If you will climb to the heights this once…even though it may seem a very long and in some places a very difficult journey, I promise you that you will develop hinds’ feet.”

I wrote this in a time of peaceful solitude this weekend.

Exodus

One small glance back
Then I shut the door.
Entered this new life you gave me.
Started fresh, eyes wide open
Never knew life could be so alive.

Then the honeymoon was over.
I saw the mire returning,
Looking to reclaim.
What I thought detestable
Now seemed full of appeal.

Maybe life before really wasn’t so bad.

But I need to follow you
On this Exodus.
To the land you’ve promised me.
The never-ending life you’ve granted me.
I can’t look back at
The bondage and consider it Holy.
When I see where your Exodus
Has brought me.


I used to justify my actions,
Blame them all on my past.
Tried to run from my nightmares
And never look back.
But you plucked me from the wide path,
Set my feet upon the narrow one.
And cleansed away all my shame
With the blood of your Son.

Maybe life now is all I could dream.

So I need to keep following you
On this Exodus.
Stop from crying out
‘The race is too hard.’
I have to cling to the promise,
I’m never alone.
I keep my eyes on your face
Till I reach the land of my own.

No comments: